•All contest entries are judged “blind,” free of names and other identifying information. Please be sure that your name does not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
•Stories may not exceed 8,000 words.
•Stories must concern this year’s subject of CHILDREN in some way, whether implicitly or explicitly through title, setting, plot, theme, conflict, or the minds of the characters.
• Entrants receive a one-year subscription to New Letters (initial entry only).
• Manuscripts will not be returned.
• No substitutions or revisions may be made after a manuscript has been submitted. Edits can be considered prior to publication, if the manuscript wins the award.
• Multiple entries are welcome with appropriate fees. All entries are considered for publication, even if not the winner.
• The winner will be announced in early March 2019.
• The winner will be published in New Letters and receive a $750 cash prize.
• The name of the award’s judge will be made public at the time the winner is announced.
• Entries from outside the United States receive all contest privileges except the subscription.
• Online entries via Submittable only.
• Current students and employees at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and current volunteer members of the New Letters and BkMk Press staffs are not eligible.
Above, see winners and judges of the 2017 Literary Awards: Fiction judge Cristina García, Fiction winner Robert Oldshue, Poetry judge Jo McDougall, Poetry winner Myrna Stone, Essay judge Sergio Troncoso, & Essay winner E.D. Gailbraith. Winners Announced for the 2017 Literary Awards: See List Here.
(Awards open for submissions on Nov. 19, 2018)
Upload your writing online by midnight (PST) Sunday, May 20th. Entries sent after midnight (PST) May 20th cannot be considered or refunded. Please read guidelines carefully to insure best service. For a printable version of the guidelines, click here.
Postmark by May 20, 2018.
Mail Entries to:
New Letters Awards for Writers
UMKC, University House
5101 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
Enclose with each entry:
$24 entry fee for each manuscript submitted. A one-year subscription or subscription renewal to New Letters, shipped to any address within the United States, is included in the price of the first entry. (Subscriptions mailed outside the U.S. require a $15 postal surcharge.) Make checks payable to New Letters. Your personal information should not appear anywhere on the entry.
POSTAL MAIL ENTRIES:
New Letters established its Awards for Writers in 1986 to discover and reward new writers and to encourage more established writers to try new genres or new work in competition. The contest is open to any writer. In order to assure fairness throughout the decision process, all judging is done anonymously and by writers outside the New Letters staff, with two rounds of judges making finalist and winner decisions. For final judges from previous years, please see the list below.
Kansas City Literary Events